Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Of Longlists and Shortlists

The Commonwealth Writers Prize


Twenty one books have been shortlisted for this prize. Three of those books are written by Nigerians.
They are listed below.



Other countries are represented on the shortlist. Below, I list the number of books that each country has on the shortlist.

Australia-5
Canada- 2
India-5
Jamaica- 1
South Africa- 1
Sri Lanka-1
United Kingdom-3

Nigeria's Tobenna Nwosu has also been shortlisted for the Commonwealth Short Story Prize alongside 18 other writers.
Read all about the Commonwealth Prizes here.

 The Frank O'Connor Award

 Seventy Five books have been longlisted for world's richest prize for a collection of short stories. I highlight three of the books here.

I'm highlighting this book  because Mr. Barrett is Nigerian :) and was an editor with Farafina when my story was accepted for publication by the magazine. I have never met him,  but I like anyone who is involved remotely or directly in getting my work into print. Call me partial! Forget my fake famzing though, he writes great short stories. Check out his work  here and here. 

I'm highlighting this book  because, you got it, Ms. Okparanta is Nigerian. Last year I put up a link to one of her stories for Fiction Friday. If you haven't read it, it isn't too late.

I met Susan last year when we were both writers in residence at Writers Omi International Art Centre (Ledig House). I was captivated when she read her story during the reading that was organised while we were in residence. I can still hear her voice and see the images that her words evoked. She is a talented writer who does innovative things with the short story.

Check out the full longlist here.

Kwani? Manuscript Prize 

Kwani? has released a list of 30 titles that have been longlisted for the prize. Below, I list the number of books that each country has on the longlist.

Botswana-2
Cameroon-2
Ghana-3

Kenya-7
Liberia-1

Nigeria-6
South Africa-4
Tanzania-1
Uganda-1
Zimbabwe-3

The longlist is here.

What She Thinks: Fiction Friday will be back on Friday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment